Saturday, September 26, 2009

Life According to Gloria




"Chic? It is absolutely innate. I was born with it. Chic cannot be taught."

"I've never worn costume jewelry in my life. It's really very self-defeating. Why should a man buy a woman real jewelry when she wears false pieces?"

"I do not follow fashion. I believe in consistency."

"Elegance is in the brain just as well as in the body and in the soul. Jesus Christ is the only example of any one human having possessed all three at the same time."

"I didn't make up all this legend stuff, somebody else did. I think everyone envisions me sitting at Alexandre's all day, picking out beautiful clothes from passing courtiers. My God, can you imagine the boredom."

- Gloria Guinness, as quoted in The Power of Style by Annette Tapert and Diana Edkins

4 comments:

  1. she may have born chic, but she certainly wasn't born humble.

    wv:boarr

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the look on Dolores' face that says, unmistakeably, "...and I stepped on the ping pong ball!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was certainly opinionated, wasn't she!?

    ReplyDelete