Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Sandy Duncan is a goddess!

Never thought I'd hear myself say that. No disrespect to Ms. Duncan, of course; she just never really registered on my radar much, outside of her Wheat Thins commercials and replacing poor Valerie Harper on that dreadful sitcom that Jason Bateman's been living down ever since. Oh, and my favorite: her animated guest stint on The Scooby Doo Mystery Hour (you know, the one where Daphne is hired as Sandy's stunt double for a movie).

How wrong I was. Not only did she appear in Roots, of all things, but I had no idea that she was a talented musical performer, with three Tony nominations to her perky credit. I got a chance to see the sixty-something star in person a few nights ago in the Encores! production of that roaring 20's chestnut, No, No, Nanette!

Lemme tell ya, this gal's gams were just as luscious as they appear in the vintage glossy to the right, and Sandy was just as cute and glorious as could be. She looked and sounded just as I remembered her from Scooby Doo, and I became an immediate convert. Viva La Duncan!

2 comments: